Aromatherapy Study Day at Kew Gardens: Rediscovering aromatic plants and their essential oils
A 1-day certificated Field Study Day with Dr Viv Anthony
This one-day course is held at the internationally famous Royal Botanic Kew Gardens, Richmond. It provides an idyllic setting to revitalize your knowledge of aromatic plants, their essential oils and how to use plants to energise your aromatherapy business and interest in natural therapies. Aromatherapy essential oils each have a unique therapeutic profile encompassing emotional and physiological healing properties. Massage carrier oils also have a range of therapeutic and emollient characteristics. With over 150 oils commercially readily available, the array of options for us to use them individually and in blends is very broad.
Do you tend to select your favourite oils or sometimes find it difficult to remember the full range of their properties?
By using your senses and linking visualization of the mother plants, their natural energy, how they grow, what they are like to touch and smell provides an excellent method to learn quickly. This is also a powerful way to trigger your memory and knowledge about oils and their therapeutic uses. This technique will be explained and used throughout the day to assist your learning. Practical demonstrations will include comparing the scent of essential oils with the aromatic portions of the plants producing them, and linking their healing properties with traditional knowledge and modern scientific research.
• Therapeutic properties of key essential oils and their profiles.
• Learning sensing and visualization techniques to aid knowledge assimilation, memory and recall about aromatic plants and oils .
• Major botanical and anatomical features of aromatherapy plants and their parts used to produce essential and carrier oils.
• Identification and comparison of characteristic features of plant families.
• Ecological adaptation strategies for survival and the evolutionary benefits of essential oils to plants.
• Ideas and discussion on how to use plants to vitalise your aromatherapy business.
• Opportunity to energise with plants and take photographs.
Entry onto this course does not require a prior qualification.
The course includes printed notes.
An Institute Certificate is issued on completion.
Dr Viv Anthony BSc(Hons),PhD,MSM,MIFPA
Viv trained as a botanist and plant disease specialist, and has worked for over 20 years in Plant Science Research and Development for a major international agribusiness.
Following her interest in the healing properties of plants, Viv qualified in Aromatherapy and Essential Oil Science at Neal’s Yard Remedies, London. For the last three years she has had an aromatherapy practice in Switzerland. She has also studied at the Institute of Stress Management. She now specialises in aromatherapy for stress management and is an advisor to industry on occupational health and wellness programmes.
Viv combines her work in aromatherapy with plant science on food security in Africa, medicinal plants and alpine biodiversity. In summer months she is an alpine flower guide in the Swiss Alps and Italian Dolomites.
Viv has published eight articles in IFPA’s professional journal, In Essence, on aromatherapy plants and gardens, including An Aromatic Walk at Kew with Harriet Robinson (2008), and Kew Gardens – A haven of botanical science and medicinal plants (2016).
LOCATION, DATES AND FEES
Location: The Royal Botanic Kew Gardens, Richmond, Surrey TW9 3AB.
Date: Saturday, June 10, 2017 (1 day).
Times: 10 am to 4 pm.
Course Fee: £125 incl VAT, payable on booking.
Please note that the course fee is in all cases non-refundable and non-transferable.
Tel: 020 7193 7383 or 0798 501 2565 for further info.
How to book
To book a place on the course, please submit your contact details and the course fee in any one of the following 3 ways:
• To book by making an online bank payment, please contact us for our bank details.
• To book by making a secure credit/debit card payment, please contact us for the payment info.
• To book by post, please send a cheque (payable to ITHMA Ltd) with your name, address, tel no and email address to our office address.
Download the printable version